About Me

My photo
I'm Jo. I used to be a 25 year old and spent my weeks working in Malaga city and my weekends at my house in Marbella. I shared my house with Snoop and Copi the dogs, 1 rat, Gizmo and Pitbull the bunnies and various fish. There was a man about the house but his status changed too often to make it official on here. Now, I'm 30 years old and spend my weeks working in the wonderful world of aeroplanes and my weekends pottering around the countryside in West Sussex. I still share my house with Snoop and Copi, and the addition of Shadow the Spaniel, Puss & Rodney the cats, and a stroppy horse named Murphy. There is an official man around the house who shares the same name as me. He is marginally better looking than me.

22 Feb 2015

"Romance is the glamour which turns the dust of everyday life into a golden haze." Carolyn Gold Heilbrun

I'm not one to normally comment on love and romance and the rose tinted outlook on life, but this weekend something strange happened which has had me reflecting on the whole subject rather profoundly.

I read a book a while back.  Well, three books actually. A trilogy in fact! A trilogy that received a whole lot of hype and was talked about in every media publication for months and months. A trilogy that, quite frankly, I had zero interest in.  It was a huge phenomenon amongst the middle aged married set and billed as the books that would revolutionise the average house wife's love life.

It didn't interest me in the slightest.

One Saturday afternoon, I was doing the food shop in the big supermarket in the nearest town and decided to browse the book section.  The first of this trilogy was on sale for £1.99 - and I thought, "what the heck - it's worth buying at that price so I can see what the hype is all about".

I read the book.  Honestly - I hated it. I found it annoying to read, and I've never found a book annoying before. It was repetitive, silly, badly written and quite mediocre.  Despite that, I downloaded the remaining two books onto my Kindle and continued and read the rest of the trilogy because I really wanted to know what the hype was about.  My opinion remained unchanged - a stupid attempt at a love story in which a man with the most deep-set mental issues is cured by the love of a good woman.

Just no.

On Friday afternoon at work, one of my colleagues mentioned that she and another girl from the office were going to watch the movie that had been made from these books - they had a spare ticket and would I like to go?  I thought about it for a while. I reflected on my feelings towards the books and decided I'd probably despise the movie.  Then I reconsidered when it dawned on my that I hadn't been to the cinema in years, I hadn't been out on a 'girly' night in a very long time, and I had a Friday night ahead of me with nothing planned...so I said yes.

And I loved it!!

I still can't quite pinpoint what it was about the film that made me fall in love with it, but something did. I think the leading male character's body, looks, authority and power certainly helped - but there was another element which I'm not quite sure of yet.

It was funny, entertaining, gripping, intense, lighthearted - and had a whole fleet of Audis and a gorgeous man dressed in tailor made suits.

So why have I been thinking abut romance all weekend since I saw the movie?  I guess it's inevitable for many girls to reflect on their relationships and compare their menfolk to the lead character in the film. That's certainly what I did.

However - I really can't fault my guy. He's smart and funny, has a great smile, dresses nicely, likes fine dining (and fine wining!), is generous and kind, is crazy good in the bedroom department and understands and appreciates women's handbags and shoes - I am a SUPER lucky girl.  But I still feel like something is missing.

As I've sat here this evening thinking about it, I wonder how much of that is media influenced? I feel like the luckiest girl in the world to have a guy like J.  I hear other girls speaking negatively about their partners and I have to smile politely and laugh in the right places but I have nothing to contribute to the conversation because I don't really have anything bad to say about mine. I know this full well yet I had this feeling all weekend that there was something missing.

Then it dawned on me.

I want him to be more verbal and shower me with compliments. I want him to be more physical and take me by surprise. I want him to be more honest and open and tell me what he wants.  But why should it all be so one sided? How can he do any of that if I don't do the same?  If I want him to take my hand on impulse and dance with me because our favourite song comes on the radio - how will  he know that unless I communicate it to him? He's an amazing guy but he isn't a mind reader!

I have therefore resolved to be more passionate, more open, and more loving to my partner than I have been before. He's quite amazing and I need to show him that he's the most special thing that's ever happened to me.

He's the little spark of light and happiness that makes every day so fabulous!

No comments: