About Me

My photo
I'm Jo. I used to be a 25 year old and spent my weeks working in Malaga city and my weekends at my house in Marbella. I shared my house with Snoop and Copi the dogs, 1 rat, Gizmo and Pitbull the bunnies and various fish. There was a man about the house but his status changed too often to make it official on here. Now, I'm 30 years old and spend my weeks working in the wonderful world of aeroplanes and my weekends pottering around the countryside in West Sussex. I still share my house with Snoop and Copi, and the addition of Shadow the Spaniel, Puss & Rodney the cats, and a stroppy horse named Murphy. There is an official man around the house who shares the same name as me. He is marginally better looking than me.

8 Feb 2015

“And now we welcome the new year, full of things that have never been” ― Rainer Maria Rilke

It's quite late in the day to be writing about new beginnings for the new year, but I decided to wait this year until a few weeks had passed so I could write about the results of the changes I had put in place rather than making some wild claims of what I was hoping to do which would, more than likely, never happen!

I never know what to say when someone inevitably asks me what my New Year's Resolutions are.  I don't ever give it any thought and then make another resolve to save more/exercise more/experience more.  I then quietly forget my plans and carry on as normal.

This year though....this year is different.  I wanted to make some positive changes to my life and focus on happy, healthy, forward thinking goodness! Day to day that's pretty easy to achieve, but it's the moments when I feel a bit negative about something that I've been trying to address by taking a moment, re-evaluating the situation and putting a good spin on it.

The same is true for my health and despite having heard this a million times before - health and happiness are SO well linked!  There are certain foods that I can't eat for allergy reasons, and other foods that I don't enjoy eating for personal reasons.  There's a particular 'food lifestyle' (for want of a  better word) that I've toyed with in the past, and although it requires some planning and forward thinking, it isn't impossible to do.  Regrettably my lack of time over the past few months has led to me being a teeeeeeny bit lazy when it comes to food prep and I've gone for the easy option and then regretted it pretty soon afterwards.  However, I've spent the past few weeks researching, planning, sourcing, noting down and gathering all the info I need to make this work and incorporate it into my day to day life and so far, so good! Not only does it mean I can't just pop into the shop for a ready meal (which, for the record, I thoroughly dislike doing anyway!) - but also that I am using fresh ingredients and cooking daily. I'm exploring new meal options, recipes, ingredients and ideas and having so much fun! I feel happy for making the effort and getting great results.  I have less stress, more energy and I'm bursting with good vibes.  Completely OTT I agree, but it's true!

Negative energy and influences have also received my makeover treatment - rather than just accepting that certain things annoy me, I've decided to take control of the situation and make it work for me.  One great example is removing the app for a certain social network off my phone so I don't feel compelled to check every few hours.  It's SO refreshing! I'm ten days in and I don't feel like it's such a big part of my life any more.  I made a conscious effort to really post less during the past five months or so and found I was checking less and less anyway. I think social media is a really important tool and has some excellent uses (I use it for my business pages and love it for that), but I personally feel it's used to share every small aspect of people's lives and I was quite uncomfortable with that aspect - and a lot of that feeling was based on the idea that people expect you to know their news because they've mentioned it online. I say pick up the 'phone and arrange to meet, or call and have a conversation...all hail a new beginning on that front!

Now that I'm actively making the changes that I've wanted to do for a while, I am in such a good place. It's all about taking control and knowing what works for you! I am so fortunate for all the things I have and I think about that every morning.  Someone recently said 'you're so strong, you've had some pretty horrid things happen' - and while I appreciate what they were saying, I didn't like it at all. I'm not a strong person by any stretch of the word, I just don't like to go over things time and time again. Bad and sad things do happen and it sucks so much, but there's no way I'm going to let these things affect me and bring me down. Deal with it, shut the door, move on to the future and the great things that await!

Happy Belated New Year  - I hope it's filled with greatness and goodies!

No comments: