About Me

My photo
I'm Jo. I used to be a 25 year old and spent my weeks working in Malaga city and my weekends at my house in Marbella. I shared my house with Snoop and Copi the dogs, 1 rat, Gizmo and Pitbull the bunnies and various fish. There was a man about the house but his status changed too often to make it official on here. Now, I'm 30 years old and spend my weeks working in the wonderful world of aeroplanes and my weekends pottering around the countryside in West Sussex. I still share my house with Snoop and Copi, and the addition of Shadow the Spaniel, Puss & Rodney the cats, and a stroppy horse named Murphy. There is an official man around the house who shares the same name as me. He is marginally better looking than me.

14 Oct 2014

'The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your Mother, the ecology, or the president. You realise that you control your own destiny'. Albert Ellis.

I was awake at 3am until 4:30 am today with so many thoughts in my head. I was worrying over the most inconsequential things but at that time of the day they seemed like most mountainous of tasks that I was never going to be able to overcome! I was concerned that I would never get all my stuff out of the house I'm moving from and that I'd never get it cleaned in time.  I was worried about not having enough petrol in my car. I was completely preoccupied with wondering how I was going to cope living in J's mum's house for two years without going crazy and why the hell was I thinking about all this stuff at stupid o'clock in the morning and why hadn't I taken my herbal sleeping pills?

And so I decided to read the news online for twenty minutes to get my mind off things.

Then I was overwhelmed with sleepiness and I passed out dribbling on my pillow, only to be rudely awakened at 6:45am by my alarm indicating it was time to get my derriere out of bed and get on with my day.

Which I did.

On the drive to work today I pondered over all my midnight musings and decided that, as usual, I was worrying about nothing and I would find a solution to everything.  I arranged with J to meet at the old house tomorrow after work - we'd load the big bankers desk into one car and all the remaining bits which are destined for my dad's house in the other. I checked my bank account and was reassured I have more than enough to refill the car if I need to (Lord knows what I was worrying about - I'm in Kazakhstan all next week so won't be driving anywhere!). When I got in the door this evening (albeit at 9pm after my looooooong Tuesday), C immediately set about cooking my dinner for me and keeping me entertained for twenty minutes.

It's SO typical of me to be awake at some crazy hour fretting over the teeniest thing only to realise hours later when I'm back in the world of the living that I had made a mountain out of a molehill! So this evening I have made a point of reminding myself of how lucky I am to have somewhere to live, amongst a caring and loving family, with my gorgeous better half. I can't lose sight of the end goal and the reason why we're here.

Only I can decide whether to let it get on top of me or to embrace this small challenge life has thrown my way and make it into the most valuable, positive and memorable experience I can.

I'm choosing the latter.

Here's a photo of a happy Mexican seagull I took this summer - he puts a smile on my face for no apparent reason!


No comments: